Touchdown
"Subtly, every aircraft is different. For this reason, it's important that you watch this video carefully." Z z z z z z...
I do, I really do try to pay attention during the Qantas safety video; but no matter how many times I've seen it, all I can remember is that should mid-air disaster strike and an evacuation take place (i.e. passengers madly scrambling for their lives), my hand luggage will stay on the plummetting plane, and the life jacket that I'll be wearing will be yellow, including a red knob to inflate it with and a red whistle with which to alert would-be rescuers.
Thankfully, I did not use the yellow-and-red life-saving device on a flight home from Adelaide two days ago. And my hand luggage accompanied me off the plane. It was raining when we touched down in Perth, and it was cooler than the high 20s of Adelaide. A refreshing welcome home after a pleasant 10 days in South Australia.
I do, I really do try to pay attention during the Qantas safety video; but no matter how many times I've seen it, all I can remember is that should mid-air disaster strike and an evacuation take place (i.e. passengers madly scrambling for their lives), my hand luggage will stay on the plummetting plane, and the life jacket that I'll be wearing will be yellow, including a red knob to inflate it with and a red whistle with which to alert would-be rescuers.
Thankfully, I did not use the yellow-and-red life-saving device on a flight home from Adelaide two days ago. And my hand luggage accompanied me off the plane. It was raining when we touched down in Perth, and it was cooler than the high 20s of Adelaide. A refreshing welcome home after a pleasant 10 days in South Australia.
Labels: travel


3 Comments:
Aww man, with that headline, why can't this post be about Australian Idol?
Chris,
I'm with you. I'm not really sure if I have ever actually listened to the safety bit...
Interesting that the 'odds of being on an airline flight which results in at least one fatality'
- Top 25 airlines with the best records. (1 in 4.25 million)
- Bottom 25 with the worst records (1 in 386,000)
Source: BACK Associates and PlaneCrashInfo.com accident database, 1981 - 2004
- Also to note that in the 1990s+ there is only a 32% chance of surviving a fatal accident. (same source)
Makes you wonder why someone like QANTAS makes you sit through the safety training. With a 1 in 13.28 Million chance of dying on a flight... zzzzzzz
But then again, the odds of winning Powerball are 1 in 27.5 Million and people continue to buy ticket for that... (www.scottware.com.au/tickets/odds.htm)
My apologies for the previous post, odds of being a Division 1 Powerball winner is 1 in 55 Million based on one game. (NSW Lotteries)
Post a Comment
<< Home