A Poem (or: George Herbert Part I)
I came across this poem by George Herbert (1593–1633) the other day. Some might find it quaint and moralistic, but I think it's simple, clever and encouraging.
My words and thoughts do both express this notion,
That Life has with the sun a double motion.
The first Is straight, and our diurnal* friend,
The other Hid, and does obliquely bend.
Our life is wrapt In flesh, and tends to earth.
The other winds towards Him, whose happy birth
Taught me to live here so, That still one eye
Should aim and shoot at that which Is on high:
Quitting with daily Labour all my pleasure,
To gain at harvest an eternal Treasure.
*daily


2 Comments:
Ah, George Herbert: my favourite divine poemicist among the metaphysicals. Some of Donne's are superb (A Hymn to God my Father), and Robert Herrick has a rollicking style (Whenas in silks my Julia goes), but GH is always a winner.
DS.
Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »
Post a Comment
<< Home