Monday, May 15, 2006

Tour Guides

For the last few days we've had relatives from interstate staying, which is a sure-fire way to get to know your home city.

Near Leighton Beach. I think it's the Duyfken replica.

We visited the mandatory Fremantle, Cottesloe, Kings Park &c, but for me Guildford, Mundaring and other Perth 'heartlands' held most interest. For example, did you know that Guildford once made a push for WA's capital to shift from Perth to its better-suited locale? (Which shows that Western Australians have always had a secessionist streak.)

We did Freo by foot, wandering around the older precinct near Notre Dame University (the amount of buildings the Uni owns is staggering.) The pics below are from the gallery in the Moores Building.



"Longevity" by Rob Boulden; these are (Buddhist?) metal household altar sticks.





My sister-in-law,
taken by her fiance.





One day we had lunch at the Mundaring Weir Hotel, a rambling old two-storey place that houses some wierd relics and has luxurious grounds. David Helfgott, James Morrison, and Kate Ceberano have played their this year, which is impressive for an out-of-the-way Perth pub.


One thing to beware of: the parrots are far too friendly. These were our wedges!


5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Chris,

This is all far too adventurous and novel. You should be watching DVD's and trudging thru city malls with your interstate friends.

You're going to be the type of father who insists on stopping on family road trips to look at pottery and quaint art galleries aren't you!?

Having seen the Rocky mountains and the high country of Otago, NZ, I can't help but find the Perth scene a bit underwhelming (Cott. beach is the exception, and Guildford is slowly growing on me).

Man, what a snob I am.

Wednesday, 17 May, 2006  
Blogger Sauntering Walker said...

Timbo

Yes, I'll be the sort of father to whom the kids say as we are about to stop at the next historical site or gallery or photo-opportunity: "No more; please Dad, no more!"

You sound like a jet-setting Generation Xer. Hosting visitors from interstate or overseas is a great way to re-appreciate your own city. ;)

Walks

Wednesday, 17 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Walks - I guess bringing travelling relatives to Midland / Guildford would be good if you did not want them to visit again.

Thursday, 18 May, 2006  
Blogger Sauntering Walker said...

I reckon that's a bit harsh, Rasto.

We didn't actually visit Midland, and I'll stand up for Guildford as a place that is historically significant and interesting. Sure, it's no Subiaco - no overpriced "Truman Show" townhouses or $4 coffees - and frankly, I'm thankful for this.

What struck me as we visited these areas was how little I know about them.

Walks

PS I'm told that the road between Mundaring and Kalamunda (Mundaring Weir Rd) is littered with deciduous trees, and that driving along it at this time of year is like driving through European countryside.

Here endeth the rant.

Thursday, 18 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rasto,

Have to put the Guilford thing in perspective. The stop was really only 30 minutes. Walkers tales of hot days, weddings, broken pipe organs, and train whistles combined with the facinating Guilford court house made for quite an interesting half hour.

Monday, 22 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home