Friday, April 21, 2006

More Idyllic Beginnings

Last Tuesday morning I went for a walk. It was a typical Perth morning for this time of year – clear, bright and chilly. Perfect conditions for striding out.

As I neared the cricket oval that I walk around, two teenage girls caught my eye, and a few moments later, the sound of the flute and the violin caught my ear. The girls were perched before a single music stand, earnestly and cheerfully playing.

I might have thought they were busking, had the park not been empty.

As I approached them each lap, I slowed to a crawl, mesmerised. As far as I could tell, which isn’t far, they were good players. Once I sat on a bench and listened for a few minutes.

On the final lap I stopped and thanked them: it’s not every morning that you get a live, open-air duet. Their smiles and demure nods – they were Japanese with apparently little English – satisfied me that they understood.

By the way, for those who know music (I don’t but I asked), the piece was Beethoven’s Allegro and Minuet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

How're you doing? Of course this entry caught my attention being about Japanese people. Often in Japan, they have to practice instruments in parks because houses and apartments are so close together that it would be too noisy to practice at home. It's not unusual here, but certainly would have been a little unusual for you there I guess!!! Nice that you could have some accompaniment to your walk.

Wednesday, 31 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home