Anyone for an amble?

Recently I read the curious essay, "Walking", by Henry David Thoreau (pictured). Early in the piece he writes:
I have met with but one or two persons in the course of my life who understood the art of Walking, that is, of taking walks,--who had a genius, so to speak, for sauntering: which word is beautifully derived from "idle people who roved about the country, in the Middle Ages, and asked charity, under pretence of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land, till the children exlaimed, "There goes a Sainte-Terrer," a Saunterer, a Holy-Lander.An article by Iain Bamforth in Quadrant (Dec-Jan edition) questions Thoreau's etymology; nonetheless, it's a great story. Bamforth describes the saunter as "the best way to walk, a slow stately progress in the manner of the camel which, according to Thoreau, is the only other beast able to ruminate and ambulate at the same time."
My two favourtie saunter spots are Kings Park and the beach (almost any one). My walks are slow--the slower the better--though probably not stately. And, I most definitely ruminate as I ambulate.
In fact, walking helps me to think. A walk is a great way to clear a clogged brain first thing in the morning. Praying can also be easier when walking--perhaps it's the grandness of creation, or just being out of a stuffy room, that loosens my tongue to pray. However, I draw the line at reading while walking--it's too dangerous!
So, whether your thoughts need jump-starting, your praying needs improving, or perhaps even your fears need quietening, why not join the saunterers and take a walk.


5 Comments:
Welcome again to the blogging world Walker.
Walking is the key to many treasures in life; parks, mountains, rivers and the oppurtunity to 'ruminate'. It seems like the best way to let your thoughts unravel.
I like to walk at a steady pace, not to saunter per se, neither to rush but to get into a rhythmn.
Apparently, you need to walk briskly to really get the health (both heart health and psychological) benefits.
Sorry to pooh-pooh sauntering, but if you are angst ridden-the evidence says to speed up!
Cheers Tim.
I think you're right: the steady- and the fast-paced walks have their benefits. (And I'd dare not argue with evidence!)
Also, I forgot to mention the relational benefits of walking. For me, there's nothing better than chewing the fat with a friend, wife - or girlfriend - while ambling along.
I really, really hope you're talkin' metaphorical rather than literal rumination. Otherwise the mental images are quite disturbing.
Especially once you mention "chewing the fat".
Great work guyz!
replica louis vuitton sunglasses
paycheck cash advance
advance cash loan payday quick
loan personal quick unsecured
advance cash fax no payday until
payroll cash advance
advance loan online payday
fast easy payday loan
emergency fax loan no payday
home loan calculation
free equifax credit report score
Good Bye!
Very useful site with good content, thanks!!!
best online diet pills
anatrim cnn
With best regards...
Post a Comment
<< Home