Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The wonderful world of kids

The five- to seven-year-olds I work with say things that are delightful, hilarious, common-sensical, nonsensical, profound and bemusing -- often several of these at one and the same time. Here are some recent offerings:

Seven-year-old N: When I run, I get a headache. My head hurts because my brain bounces up and down in it.

Six-year-old D: My lip got sof-tened today, when my board [magnetic writing board] fell on it. That's what happens when you get beatened up -- you get a soft lip.

Me, to five-year-old F: "What sports do you like, F?"
F: "Sports what we're not s'posed to do [here at school]."
"What sports are they?"
"Football"
"Oh, which team do you play football for, F?"
"Everyone. I play for everyone."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Some fitness-testing I was doing involved the kids seeing how far they could hop in a single hop (i.e. landing on their take-off leg). Many struggled with the concept of a single hop: they wanted to hop hop hop all the way to the end of the outstretched tape measure.
After his multi-hop effort, F exclaimed: "I's making myself fly. I's flying myself."

Six-year-old budding inventor, C: "I'm gonna invent a computer and then I type in and see if fairies and aliens are real."

Five-year-old burgeoning biologist and environmentalist, K, after showing me
pictures from National Geogrophic of a sperm whale and a giant squid:
"I've been learning all about life! I've been doing it because I'm going to save the planet. Mr Walker, would you like to come over to my place and learn about life?

I tried to picture thirty-six-year-old me explaining to K's mum that I had popped over for the afternoon to learn about life from her son. And then I thought: do not go there.

Seven-year-old P brought in his globe for news today.
(It was about the size of a large, spherical watermelon.) When the kids tell news, they're encouraged to say how the event, person or object they're talking about made or makes them feel. "I felt happy," is the worn out phrase of choice.
P surprised us today by saying: "When I got the globe, I felt like I was outside the world. And like I could just go down into the world. Oh, and I felt happy."

Five-year-old J had one hand very deeply and noticeably tucked in to his short pocket.
"Hello Mr Pockets," I jovially greeted him.
Earnest J: "Do you know some people don't even know where their pockets are?!?"


If you have any adult-world insight into what five-year-old J might have meant, please share it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Carmen said...

What a crack up! I can't wait to hear what our little munchkins come out with!

Thursday, 02 April, 2009  
Anonymous tara said...

Ah I love it.

Here's one from Cayley for you:

Nan "What does an elephant do?"
Cayley: "elephant blows his trumpet"
Nan laughed so hard she snorted!

hi carmen :)

Sunday, 05 April, 2009  
Anonymous TroyG said...

Seven-year-old P has got the right stuff to be a philosopher; being able to travel outside your own worldview. I've done it a couple of times, and it's weird and scary.

Friday, 17 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home