The lazy man's post
I've been reading some interesting stuff lately; so, by way of a tentative re-entry into the blogosphere, here's a taste:

... we let our young men and women go out unarmed in a day when armour was never so necessary. By teaching them to read, we have left them at the mercy of the printed word. By the invention of the film and radio, we have made certain that no aversion to reading shall secure them from the battery of words, words, words. [Ed. Don't even get me started on the internet or wireless technology!] They do not know what the words mean; they don't know how to ward them off or blunt their edge or fling them back; they are prey to words in their emotions instead of being masters of them in their intellects... (Dorothy L. Sayers, "The Lost Tools of Learning")This is from a book on -- you guessed it -- home-schooling. More posts to follow soon, I hope.



8 Comments:
Good to see you're back, Chris. I wouldn't have guessed that a book by Dorothy L. Sayers was about home-schooling, but she was a very versatile writer. Is Miss Walker learning to read already?
I feel unarmed...
Good to hear some of your thoughts again Chris.
woohoo! the man is back. Hope things are going well with the family. :) Good read.
I got this other one by Doug Wilson, Recovering the Lost Tool of Learning, from a Christian perspective, in terms of education, home schooling and non-home schooling.
http://www.amazon.com/Recovering-Lost-Tools-Learning-Distinctively/dp/0891075836/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235710346&sr=8-5
Maybe we can exchange notes sometime.
:)
Robin
Thanks for the replies.
Stella: you caught me out! The Sayers' quote was actually from a foreword to a book on home-schooling (i.e. they were mis(?)-appropriating Dorothy Sayers -- just as I was). As I only had a few photocopied chapters of the book -- inlcuding the Sayers' quote -- I couldn't, and still can't, cite the book's title.
Dave: great to hear from you; hope all is well in the UK.
...please where can I buy a unicorn?
zewinemnwem [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Buspar-online.aspx]Order cheap Buspar online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-bactrim-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Bactrim without no prescription online[/url]
he dejado pasar algo? http://nuevascarreras.com/cialis/ comprar cialis generico en espana Mi scuso che ho interferire, ma propongo di andare un modo diverso. comprar cialis en espana emhprrkaqq [url=http://www.mister-wong.es/user/COMPRARCIALIS/comprar-viagra/]comprar viagra[/url]
Mudrenee mattina sera. [url=http://lacasadicavour.com/kamagra/ ]cialis generico [/url]Non vi ГЁ qualcosa di simile? cialis prezzo In precedenza, ho pensato altrimenti, grazie per l'assistenza in materia.
Post a Comment
<< Home