Sobering
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all about AIDS in Africa. But, really, what can I do?"
Until recently, these, or something like them, were my thoughts on the 'AIDS-in-Africa' epidemic. The documentary Seven Days, which premiered in Perth two weeks ago, got me examining my attitude.
It was shot and directed in a Zambian village by Perth filmmaker Russell Brown; the shooting all took place over seven days (hence the name). The 'star' of the show is a thirty-something single female, a plumber from Port Lincoln, South Australia. To my mind she was a female version of Kenny -- impossible not to like.
Check out the preview on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOKr0N1FZVg) and / or buy the DVD from Heritage Distributors.
Until recently, these, or something like them, were my thoughts on the 'AIDS-in-Africa' epidemic. The documentary Seven Days, which premiered in Perth two weeks ago, got me examining my attitude.
It was shot and directed in a Zambian village by Perth filmmaker Russell Brown; the shooting all took place over seven days (hence the name). The 'star' of the show is a thirty-something single female, a plumber from Port Lincoln, South Australia. To my mind she was a female version of Kenny -- impossible not to like.
Check out the preview on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOKr0N1FZVg) and / or buy the DVD from Heritage Distributors.


3 Comments:
Having watched the documentry recently I found it to be very similar to my time in South Africa in 2004. It truly is heartbreaking to see such beautiful, orphaned children with absolutly nothing, and if they have something, it is only because they have inherited it. I witnessed children as young as 6 crossing dual highways alone as they left a Christmas party (Their gifts; soap, deoderant, toothpaste and toothbrushes- I might add that they held on very tightly to their parcels with huge smiles on their faces). They were going home to an empty and lonely house - their parents had died from AIDS. The documentry once again reminded me 'what an extravagant and wasteful life I often lead'. Imagine if it were us....
I haven't seen the documentary, Chris, but I went to see a film on Thursday called 'Invisible Children', about child soldiers (and those who manage to escape that role) in Northern Uganda. Shocking, revolting and heartbreaking. Definitely worth watching.
The most sickening thing is the way Satan masquerades as God (the rebel army that abducts, tortures and brainwashes children to serve their sick purposes calls itself the Lord's Resistance Army).
It's definitely the kind of film one comes away from much more grateful for what one has and determined not to grumble.
www.invisiblechildren.com
Onya Deb (and anonymous!).
Deb: I heard about this Invisible Children movie. Was it made by Perth people?
Post a Comment
<< Home