The Cake
When it comes to music, films, TV -- all right, popular
culture -- I'm usually late on to the scene. Typically, the "scene"
you'll find me discovering and getting excited about is last decade's.
culture -- I'm usually late on to the scene. Typically, the "scene"
you'll find me discovering and getting excited about is last decade's.

I'm yet to watch The Princess Bride, Napolean Dynamite or Happy Feet (though I can quote and recognise lines from each of them). West Wing is the show I've heard others rave about, and Gray's Anatomy is about doctors, isn't it? It was last year when I got my first taste of Beck and Radiohead; Daft Punk are just entering my orbit -- an adamant seventeen-year-old burnt me a couple of their CDs -- and the most recent U2 CD I own is All that You Can't Leave Behind.
All this is a long-winded, roundabout way of announcing my re-discovery of the Aussie band My Friend the Chocolate Cake. The bio on their website describes them thus:
Somewhere within the unlikely union of kitchen sink piano tales, vivid chamber orchestration [the cello and violin are a knock-out] and hell-raising instrumental shenanigans, the Melbourne band has carved out a 15 year, five album history that culminates ... so far in the 19 track retrospective, Parade.It was through Parade that I got back into The Cake. Check them out at My Friend the Chocolate Cake. Any band who calls the sales section of their website the "Cake Stall" must be good.


2 Comments:
You haven't seen Napolean Dynamite? G-osh!!!
I've never owned a CD by 'The Cake' but when I shared a house in Melbourne back in '96 that album (in the photo) was on replay for two months. And I loved it!
It probably isn't much consolation, but I'm with you on The Princess Bride and Happy Feet, and I'm behind on Radiohead. I know, it's embarrassing. I guess that's the price we pay for being cultural élites with such discriminating palates...
Hi Dave: Great to know you're a Cake fan. The CD pictured was my intro. to them too.
"... cultural elites with discriminating palates"! Have you ever thought of going in to PR? Spin Doctor Saxey...
Post a Comment
<< Home